START DIGGING IN 5 EASY STEPS.
- Plan your project. Know where you plan to dig. Mark the designated area with white paint or flags.
- Call 811. A representative will give you a ticket number and a list of utilities responding to your request.
- Wait for the marks. Marking typically takes two working days. If you call on a Tuesday, utilities have Wednesday and Thursday to mark your dig site. Each utility marks its lines with an assigned color.
- Compare. After two full working days, confirm that utility operators have visited your dig location by comparing the colors of the marks with the list of utilities 811 gave you. If a utility does not locate a conflict, it will call you or paint an “OK” in the appropriate color.
- Dig with care. Once your site is marked, you can begin digging. State law mandates a 2-foot safety zone on either side of utility markings. You may only dig with hand tools in the safety zone.