Look Down: Call Before You Dig
- Call 811, the national “Call Before You Dig” number at least 72 hours before you dig.
- They will mark underground line locations on your property at no charge.
- Even simple digging projects can harm utility lines.
Look Up: Topping it Off
- Don’t trim trees that are within 10 feet of a power line.
- Only trained and experienced line-clearance tree trimmers should handle those tree trimming jobs.
- Before climbing a tree, inspect the limbs to assess their strength and stability.
- Wear appropriate fall protection.
- Don’t climb if you are carrying tools in your hands.
Look Around: Powered Up
- Don’t work outside with electrical devices when it’s damp. Keep devices and cords away from water.
- Use extension cords designated for outdoor use.
- Check for frayed cords, broken plugs and cracked or broken housing. Don’t use devices that are damaged.
- Keep waterproof covers on outdoor outlets not in use.